Thursday, September 26, 2013

Repetition, PCR and achieving perfection

My Experiences with a task that could be considered repetitive and or boring,
Oddly I did not even consider this task unpleasant and enjoy PCR, I preform polymerase chain reactions on a regular basis and often complete several a week in my lab. I will over cast some of the techniques finer points and give a simplified and less technical description. This procedure is used for analysis of DNA samples by repeatedly copying a segment of the sample DNA using a primer pair so that it can later be viewed using an electrophoresis gel. In a sense you take a small bit a DNA and end with a large amount of a specific portion.

Several People have told me that they do not like to preform PCRs because they are very repetitive, I think that that is one of the reasons I like them. The procedure takes several hours to complete fully and does not vary between sample sets, it is primarily unchanging. It involves a lot of repetitive motion because for each sample must be treated just like the other samples so each step is repeated for each sample. For example at one step a reagent is added, this reagent must be added to each of the samples. I tend to perform this procedure with thirty two samples, so this one step is performed thirty two times as is the next step and so on and so forth.

Great care and some skill is needed to complete the procedure. The procedure can not be rushed without risk of mistake, and care must be taken at all times so that samples are not confused with one another. If at any time a mix up happens the whole batch is useless scientifically. Each step is crucial and so also must be completed in order and with a high degree of accuracy. The measurements of solutions are crucial and unforgiving and are very small less then a ml generally in the range of 2-1000 micro meters, (1000 micrometers in one ml) slight errors ruin a batch.

Because of the sensitivity of the procedure I must take great care in preforming all of the steps with great accuracy. Over all I still find the procedure relaxing and genuinely enjoy the procedure, even with all of the care involved. I like the repetition and the perfection involved. This sounds Obsessive and or compulsive (OCD) but when I get done with a set of identical perfectly alined samples I feel a great sensation of satisfaction. Its an accomplishment but I think it is due in part to the concept of perfection, Few things that I accomplish can be considered to meet the requirements of perfection but PCR does.

Not to say that I don't succeed in other areas I excel in other activities too, but this specific kind of accomplishment seems rare. It is hard to explain how I feel on this topic but the Procedure of PCR feels some how different. To note I feel it is self destructive to try to be perfect in all aspects of someones life and perfectionism can be harmful even in just parts of your life. Yet I think that when your life requires excellence and you can fulfill that requirement with a very high success, perfection it is a great accomplishment. I know that sometimes I push my self harder then necessary, and it is one of my traits that I work to change. Yet at the same time I think that it is healthy and good for an individual to push themselves somewhat so that they push back their boundaries and succeed where they would not have believed they could. So in a sense I think individuals should not be afraid to achieve what could be called perfection, just note that if you don't succeed then certainly don’t let that discouragement hold you back from living the rest of your life. I have come to realize that I will never succeed at all of my trials but failure will not stop me from trying with the fullest of my ability to achieve perfection.

But these are just my thoughts




1 comment:

  1. Are you in a lab at MSU? I'm in the Potato Lab, and I have done PCR once or twice. I totally get what you are saying about feeling really satisfied after finishing... it's SUCH a process! What is your PCR for?

    ReplyDelete